Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Reverse Watermelon?

Soap


Here we have it again...yet another soap that was so far off what I envisioned, it's not even funny. Even though I'm not laughing, it's still beautiful. My husband said it looked like a reverse watermelon, and since I"m going for a light summer theme, reverse watermelon it is! When I look at it, I think..mild breezes on the Gulf at sunset, but that's not what I had in mind at all. The bottom layer was supposed to be a smooth pallid aqua blue with dark blue confetti specks, then a straight black mica line, over that, another pallid smooth aqua layer to be intersected by a pink and white in the pot swirl. My mica line looked like black foam on choppy seas.  What was I thinking? I used sunflower in my recipe to give me more time to play. Sure enough I had time to play..more than I needed, as I  had a heck of a time topping the mica layer because it was still fluid. So, I hemmed and hawed, daintily poured my soap over a spatula to not break the mica line, and wouldn't you know it, by the time I added in the pink in white in the pot swirl, it was thick as thieves. Sheesh! Why didn't I try the IPS with the bottom layer? Stupid. This soap making business will drive me to the brink of insanity. When will I know what I'm doing? Two years? Given all that goes into making a soap just like the one I have in my head, I figure I'll stick with small two pound batches and use more Crisco.

Still, I love this soap. It's very girly unlike my last several batches. It smells like a cottage garden in June--lavender, palmarosa, geranium, marjoram, and a touch of litsea.

Dirt

There was dirt today, as well. My cool crops are up and growing: lettuce, beets, carrots, brussel sprouts, kale and broccoli. My son loves to dig up the garden and hoe into manageable delicious worm riddled chunks. He's such a good boy. His sister is more helpful around harvest time..an excellent bean picker if you need one, but not too interested in early garden prep.

No comments:

Post a Comment